Friday 1 April 2011

Time out for a film....

This afternoon I was supposed to be writing up some committee minutes, but decided to take time out and do something I haven’t done for a while. I sat down, ignored everything that needed to be done, and watched a new film.






I bought “Let Me In” on impulse. Hubby knows I like a good horror so when we were shopping he took it off the shelves, said “This is supposed to be good” and I popped it in the basket. He doesn’t like horror films, so I always watch them alone.

When I settled down to watch this I was expecting a Vampire flick (with a capital V). I haven’t seen many horrors lately as I’ve become fairly jaded by the whole horror genre…most these days seem to rely too heavily on special effects and have very little in the way of storyline. (The last one I watched was Legion…even Paul Bettany couldn’t save THAT one). What I found in this film was surprising. It’s actually good, and is not the usual slasher flick...you know the type…teenagers/misfits, spooky woods, crowded fairgrounds, isolated location and a serial killer/vampire on the loose.

Let Me In is unusual in that the “horror” is not what you would expect and the blood n guts, although on the whole well done, is not the actual focus of the film. I would say actually that in the scheme of things it’s secondary and is intrinsic to the story, not just there for the Hell of it.

This is the story of a friendship between a 12 year old boy and the girl next door. It just so happens that he’s being beaten up by the school bullies and she’s a vampire.

The film is, very much for me, in the film noir type of category. The lighting is atmospheric, while washed out colours, mood enhancing background music and excellent camera direction mix with a story subtly told.

This is not an “I’m going to make you jump, your heart will be in your mouth and you’re not going to sleep for a week” type of film. It’s one that will get under your skin, slowly, and make you think hard about who the actual monster is.

Its no, Near Dark, and it definitely isn’t the Lost Boys, but I think this one may stand the test of time as these two have. The nearest comparison I have is Justin Cronin’s book “The Passage”, which has had its film rights secured. Chloe Moretz who plays the lead in this film would fit in as the leading lady for “The Passage” too. You have to have read the book to understand where I’m coming from there.

I’m not going to tell you any more about the film though….you have to watch it. If you like a film that makes you go “Hmmmm” at the end, and gets the brain matter going, then this is for you

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading the passage + it's SCARY!! Just to say Have you read the book this film is based on + seen the original version of the film? The book is amazing.

    Great post as ever

    SG x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent seen "Let the Right One In" yet, but am seriously considering it, and until yesterday didnt realise there was a book.

    I was lucky enough to get a review copy of the Passage and I have to say it's one of the best books I have read in a VERY long time. I'd read it again if I didnt have so many other books to get through first.

    You *have* seen what my bookshelves are like ;)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven´t seen that version, but the Swedish "Låt den rätte komma in" (Let the Right One in), and it´s real dark and slow, which makes it rather creepy in an intelligent way. But reading your description of the english version, it seems they did a good job with the remake. Anyway, maybe you get a chance to see the swedish one, I can really recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nearly bought the Swedish version, but went for the remake instead..think I will buy it soon to compare. This one is very slow, dark and thoughtful..Ive seen a few bad reviews for it, but I reckon those people wanted a "jump out at you and go BOO" type of film!

    ReplyDelete